How do I use a nectar collector?
Shatter, wax, crumble, dab… whatever you call your concentrates, it’s all nectar to us. Over the last few years using concentrate has become a popular way to smoke. Especially with the under 30 crowd. They hold the natural flavor (think terpenes) in your herb giving you a natural tasting smoke. It’s perfect for the purists!
If you’re new to the concentrate scene you may be wondering, “how do I use a nectar collector” or “what is a nectar collector”? (Luckily, we’ve answered that last question here.). Let’s go over how to use a nectar collector.
- Place the concentrate in a container. We recommend using either silicone or glass dishes that are heat resistant. This is important because it will get hot fast and you don’t want to lose your product to a glass breakage. The best part is that these containers offer the dual purpose of smoking and storage.
- Heat the tip of your nectar collector. It’s best to use a torch like what many cigar smokers use or that you’d find in a kitchen for baking. Torches are able to heat a larger surface area faster. You’ll want to heat the tip until it starts to turn red. Don’t worry about breakage as these specialty pipes are made to withstand great temperatures.
- Dip it in! Once you have your preferred temperature, place the tip of the nectar collector into the concentrate. The longer you hold the tip to the concentrate the larger your hit will be. To prevent getting too large of a rip (especially if you’re a beginner to concentrate), we suggest using a tapping motion as you inhale bringing the tip down and up repeatedly to allow airflow to enter.
- Exhale and enjoy!
Now that you know how a nectar collector works, let’s talk about the pros and cons of using concentrates with a nectar collector instead of a dab rig.
- Traveling - dab pens are made for travel with most fitting right in your pocket.
- Ease - nectar collectors are easy to assemble and disassemble, and easy to clean.
- Taste - if you’re wanting a more pure tasting product this could be a good fit for you.
- Temperature control - it'll take some practice to get used to controlling the temperature.
- Getting burned - anytime you’re working with something that is hot there’s always a risk of accidentally burning yourself. And nectar collectors are HOT.
- Hard to pass in the circle. Back to the last point of accidentally getting burned, the tip of the nectar collector is so red hot, it means you and your buddies will have to focus.
If you’re ready to break into the concentrate scene, let us know! Stop by any of our five Up-N-Smoke retail locations in Louisville, KY and look through the different nectar collectors and dab pens that we have available. Or, check out the assortment online and take advantage of free shipping on orders over $20.